Adipurush, a Hindi epic Ramayana adaptation, was announced through a promotional poster on August 18, 2020. Prabhas portrayed the role of Lord Rama under the direction of Om Raut, who previously directed the period action film Tanhaji (2020). Om Raut was inspired by the 1996 Japanese film Ramayana: The Legend of Prince Ram and was motivated to transform the epic Ramayana into a film using modern technology. Amid the COVID-19 lockdown in India, Raut wrote the screenplay. Prabhas immediately liked the project and the production company, T-Series Films, came on board for the project.
Adipurush is one of the most expensive Indian films to date, with a budget of ₹500 crore (US$63 million). An estimated ₹250 crore (US$31 million) was spent on visual effects. It was shot simultaneously in Hindi and Telugu languages and was filmed in 3D.
Facts About Adipurush Movie
- The producers claimed that the film would be an adaptation of a popular Indian epic. However, based on the first-look poster of Adipurush, which features glimpses of Hanuman, Ravana, and Lord Rama, it can be inferred that the film will be a retelling of the Ramayana. The poster reads ‘Prabhas In and As Adipurush,’ suggesting that Prabhas will be portraying the character of Lord Rama in the film.
- According to reports, the action drama will be released in 3D format and will be shot as a bilingual film in Telugu and Hindi. The dubbed versions of the film will also be released in various foreign languages as well as regional languages like Malayalam, Tamil, and Kannada.
- Adipurush will be the 22nd film in Prabhas’ career and his third film with producer Bhushan Kumar, following Saaho and Radhe Shyam.
- In a recent interview, the director revealed interesting information about the film. He said that the city of Adipurush was established 7,000 years ago and all the touchpoints are similar to those in the epic Ramayana. However, it is presented with modern storytelling techniques
- On the other hand, Adipurush will be Prabhas’ first project with director Om Raut, who previously directed the 2020 blockbuster Tanhaji: The Unsung Warrior starring Ajay Devgn and Saif Ali Khan.
- According to reports, the producers have reached out to several leading Bollywood actors to play important roles in the mythological drama. Talking about the grand project, Bhushan Kumar of T-Series said, ‘Audiences should be prepared to experience a story they believe in, with magnificent visuals and expansive characters on the big screen.’
- Adipurush is Prabhas’ first Hindi film after the Telugu film Saaho in 2019.
- The film was shot in Hindi and Telugu languages simultaneously.
- After the success of Tanhaji in 2020, Om Raut teamed up with Saif Ali Khan for the second time.
- Prabhas will be working with director Om Raut and producer Bhushan Kumar for Adipurush, which is expected to be a period drama.
- Considering the scale of the film, multiple producers have come together to finance the film, including Bhushan Kumar, Krishan Kumar, Om Raut, Prasad Sutar, and Rajesh Nair.
- Well-known trade analyst Taran Adarsh has also revealed that ‘Adipurush is a grand adaptation of an Indian epic that revolves around the triumph of good over evil… Talks are underway with a big name for playing the antagonist.’
- According to reports, the producers have meticulously choreographed power-packed action scenes, which will showcase VFX effects like never seen before.